Washington State establishes advertising and marketing rules for medical marijuana. Licenseees who are operating in the state of Washington should follow general advertising guidance or contact legal representation if further assistance is needed.
For complete information and rules regarding advertising marijuana online, visit:
Frequently asked questions about marijuana advertising | Washington State …Enumclaw Courier-HeraldDisclaimer: There are restrictions in both law and rule that restrict certain marijuana-related advertising. This FAQ is intended to provide licensees …
WAC 314-55-155: Advertising
Advertising by retail licensees. The board limits each retail licensed premises to one sign identifying the retail outlet by the licensee’s business name or trade name that is affixed or hanging in the windows or on the outside of the premises that is visible to the general public from the public right of way. The size of the sign is limited to 1,600 square inches.
General. All marijuana advertising and labels of useable marijuana and marijuana-infused products sold in the state of Washington may not contain any statement, or illustration that:
- Is false or misleading;
- Promotes over consumption;
- Represents the use of marijuana has curative or therapeutic effects;
Depicts a child or other person under legal age to consume marijuana, or includes:
- Objects, such as toys, characters, or cartoon characters suggesting the presence of a child, or any other depiction designed in any manner to be especially appealing to children or other persons under legal age to consume marijuana; or
Is designed in any manner that would be especially appealing to children or other persons under twenty-one years of age.
No licensed marijuana producer, processor, or retailer shall place or maintain, or cause to be placed or maintained, an advertisement of marijuana, usable marijuana, or a marijuana-infused product in any form or through any medium whatsoever:
- Within one thousand feet of the perimeter of a school grounds, playground, recreation center or facility, child care center, public park, library, or a game arcade admission to which it is not restricted to persons aged twenty-one years or older;
- On or in a public transit vehicle or public transit shelter; or
On or in a publicly owned or operated property.
Giveaways, coupons, and distribution of branded merchandise are banned.
All advertising must contain the following warnings:
- “This product has intoxicating effects and may be habit forming.”;
- “Marijuana can impair concentration, coordination, and judgment. Do not operate a vehicle or machinery under the influence of this drug.”;
- “There may be health risks associated with consumption of this product.”; and
- “For use only by adults twenty-one and older. Keep out of the reach of children.”